So I sat here watching TV, my daughter was laying on the floor with her feet on the couch and i Had told to stop shaking the couch, I looked back down because i still felt the Shaking. Her feet weren’t even on the couch, then I noticed Pictures shaking, and rattling on the wall, It reminded me of when I lived in Oklahoma City, And felt the rumble of the Alfred P. Murrah Building being Blown up.. But seriously, This wasn’t happening again was it? I Mean, I’ve never felt an Earthquake in Ohio… Was it? Yes it was..
The epicenter was in Mineral, Virginia. Did you feel it? Send CNN an iReport. CNN’s political producer Peter Hamby was vacationing with his family near Mineral and said he felt the shaking for 45 seconds.
“It’s one of the largest that we’ve had there,” said U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones.
Aftershocks were a concern, she said. “People should be expecting (them), especially over the next hour or two,” she added.
The quake was felt in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; New York City and on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, where President Barack Obama is vacationing. Cell phone service has been disrupted in New York City part of which has been evacuated.
Traders in the New York Stock Exchange felt the shaking and shouted to each other, “Keep trading!” CNN’s business correspondent Alison Kosik reported from the floor at 2:20 p.m. E.T.
“Everybody was told to take the stairs,” Wolf Blitzer said, speaking live at 2 p.m. E.T. from CNN’s D.C. bureau.
The Pentagon has been evacuated, CNN’s Barbara Starr reports. “When the building began shaking rather violently, hundreds of people began streaming out,” she said, because many people thought that the building was under attack. Starr was standing in the Pentagon’s press office when the roof started to shake.
Twitter traffic suggests the quake was felt all over the East Coast.
In Philadelphia, HunterPence3 tweeted, “Wow Earthquake just shook the entire locker room!”
In Cleveland, “tribeinsider” wrote “I’m no expert but i think we just had an earthquake here.”
And even in Toronto, Canada, tweets said that the shaking could be felt for minutes.
- Quake hits near Washington, D.C. (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Earthquake Hits Washington D.c. Shakes East Coast New York, Virginia, Nc, Ma (binsidetv.net)
- Quake rocks Washington area, felt on East Coast (sfgate.com)
- Magnitude 5.5 Earthquake Hits Southern Colorado (foxnews.com)
- Magnitude 5.5 earthquake hits southern Colorado (msnbc.msn.com)
- New York City Earthquake: Virginia Tremor Felt In NYC (huffingtonpost.com)
- Earthquake tremors felt in central Pennsylvania from Lycoming to Cumberland counties (pennlive.com)
- Earthquake hits waters off Indonesia (seattletimes.nwsource.com)